The Fiat Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo won the British MotoGP yesterday after dominating the race from pole position at the Silverstone circuit.
The Spaniard crossed the finish line 6.743 seconds ahead of second place man Andrea Dovizioso on the Repsol Honda and Ben Spies taking his first podium this season in third for the Monster Yamaha Tech3 team.
As the race got underway, Lorenzo had a fight on his hands as he battled with his fellow countryman Dani Pedrosa for the lead.
The Ducati Marlboro rider Casey Stoner had a terrible start seeing him drift towards the back of the grid from sixth position by the first turn while the San Carlo Honda Gresini rider Marco Melandri crashed out on the opening lap.
By lap 7, Lorenzo had managed to create a 5 second gap while Dovizioso and the LCR Honda rider Randy de Puniet fought for second place with the second Marlboro Ducati of Nicky Hayden hot on their tails.
Stoner struggled to make his way back up the grid finally making it past Pedrosa who was sitting in eighth place on lap 13 of the race. Meanwhile Loris Capirossi crashed his Rizla Suzuki whilst trying to pass the Páginas Amarillas Aspar machine of Héctor Barbera, running off circuit and landing in a heap in the gravel trap ending his chances of any points in the race.
As Dovizioso, De Puniet and Hayden continued their own race for the two remaining podium places the gap between the three riders was less than half a second with Spies still tracking them down for his share of the points.
While Lorenzo rode a lonely race way out in front and with only three laps of the race remaining, Hayden and Spies both managed to make it past De Puniet followed by Stoner who had now moved into fifth place.
On the final lap of the race, Spies made his move on Hayden and slotted into third place where he remained until the chequered flag behind the second place man Dovizioso.
Hayden finished in fourth place ahead of Stoner in fifth and De Puniet in sixth. Marco Simoncelli claimed his best result so far this season with seventh place followed by Pedrosa in eighth, Colin Edwards in ninth and Aleix Espargaro in tenth.
Hiroshi Aoyama did not take place in the race after suffering injuries when he crashed during the morning warm-up session. The Interwetten Honda rider received heavy contusions to his back and was sent to hospital for a CT scan.
Here are the results;
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Fiat Yamaha Team 41m 34.083s
2. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 41m 40.826s
3. Ben Spies USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 41m 41.180s
4. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Marlboro Team 41m 41.397s
5. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team 41m 41.577s
6. Randy de Puniet FRA LCR Honda MotoGP 41m 43.138s
7. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 41m 48.508s
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 41m 49.396s
9. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 42m 2.0370s
10. Aleix Espargaro ESP Pramac Racing 42m 16.477s
11. Hector Barbera ESP Paginas Amarillas Aspar 42m 17.448s
12. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 42m 17.491s
13. Mika Kallio FIN Pramac Racing 42m 17.663s
Loris Capirossi ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP
Marco Melandri ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini